From:
Cindy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:29:19 -0600
Hello, my name is Tania Tan and I am a junior nursing student at the
University of North Dakota.  I'm currently in a childbearing class and
I have joined this list serve to further educate myself of the news and
information surrounding lactation and breastfeeding.
There has been some discussion about the correlation between food
proteins ingested by the mother that transfer through mother's milk to
the baby in which the baby shows an allergic response.

For example, according to Schach and Haight (2002), foods such as eggs,
peanuts, cow's milk, soy, wheat, tree nuts and strawberries are common
allergens that can cause colicky behavior in the nursing baby.  In
addition, they state that many infants have shown decreases in colicky
behavior simply by removing cow's milk protein from the nursing
mother's diet (Schach, Haight, 2002).  In addition there have been
professionals who have advocated the complete removal of certain foods
from nursing mothers' diet in case of infant allergy to proteins in
the mother's food (Schach, Haight, 2002).

A study surveyed a group of pediatric allergy dietitians in Australia
and the majority of the professionals surveyed recommended that mothers
completely avoid the allergy causing food rather than partially avoid
the foods that cause allergies in their babies (Palmer, Gold, Makrides,
2004)

Collier, Fulhan and Duggan (2004) note that in cases of nursing infants
with an allergy the diet of the mother should be analyzed and the foods
the infant is allergic to should be removed from the mothers diet
(Collier, Fulhan, Duggan, 2004).

This brings me to the question, have you ever recommended
breast-feeding only mom's to remove certain foods from the diet in
order to help relieve colicky symptoms in their babies?  If so, what
kind of results occurred?

Thank so much.

Tania Tan, SN

Collier, S., Fulhan, J., & Duggan, C.  (2004).  Nutrition for the
pediatric office: update on

vitamins, infant feeding and food allergies [Electronic Version].
Current Opinion

in Pediatrics, 16, 314-320.

Palmer, D. J., Gold, M. S., & Makrides, M.  (2004).  Treatment and
prevention of food

allergies in breastfed infants: practice and evidence [Electronic
Version].  Nutrition & Dietetics, 61(2), 76-81.

Schach, B., & Haight, M.  (2002).  Colic and food allergy in the
breastfed infant: is it

possible for an exclusively breastfed infant to suffer from food
allergy?  Journal

of Human Lactation, 18(1), 50-52.