From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:32:33 -0500
I just wanted to add my .02.  I produced large amounts of milk and had a very strong let down.  Both of my children were happy spitters with normal yellow stools, very frequent and explosive.  They grew well and other than the laundry issue, I did not think anything of this.  Now, my children are 24 and 21.  When they were babies I placed them on their tummies all the time.  I love dairy products and never thought of taking them out of my diet to address the spitting up.  Maybe it would have helped some but since I know my production had more to do with what happened, this is not how I would go back and approach the issue.
I have brought this up before but it still bothers me.  The diagnosis of "reflux" is becoming epidemic and the number of babies being put on medications is far too many IMHO.  I think there is a definite correlation to the increase number of cases of reflux and the "back to sleep" campaign.
I teach parents that there babies need tummy time and the best time to do this is right after a feeding.  I also state that they need to be with the baby while they are on their tummies and if they leave the room to turn the baby to their back.  I hear pediatrician talking to new parents and stating "never" place their babies on their tummies.  When I talk to them later and ask why they said this, their response is that they don't trust the parents to monitor the tummy time so they feel it is better to say "never"!
We all need to give parents the expectation that they will do the best for their children and heed the information we give them.
Off my soap box.  Happy New Year.
Ann Perry,  RN IBCLC
Boston, MA