Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:10:18 EST
7bit
From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Dr. Gordon,
I spent over nine years on Active Duty, had two children in military
hospitals and taught breastfeeding classes in another military hospital for two
years.  TRICARE (the military health insurance agency) is doing a very good  job
of promoting breastfeeding.  Since the military is now competing with  civilian
hospitals (Recent deployments of MDs have left a shortage on base and
mothers are able to go off-base to deliver.) for patients, esp. for OB  services.
Depending on how many waves this mom wants to make I would suggest she tour
the L&D and speak to the head nurse about her wishes.  I would also  suggest
she visit the patient representative at the hospital prior to giving  birth.
The patient rep. works directly for the commander of the  hospital.  Again,
this is all prep work.  The nurses are not allowed  to give supplement without
notifying the parents.  As long as she keeps the  baby with her and refuses
consent for supplement then this should not be a  problem.  If anyone gives her a
hard time, call the patient representative  (having already seen this person
pre-natally).  If this does not suffice to  get the nursing staff of her case
or the patient rep. isn't available (i.e. on a  weekend) then I would ask to
speak to the chief of the ward (a MD).  If  this does not suffice then tell the
staff she will contact the IG (Inspector  General).
Depending on her husband's rank this may or may not be an intimidating plan
for her.  I only say that because some soldiers and their spouses are led  to
believe they should "go along to get along" and this becomes more prevalent
the lower in the ranks one goes.
Does the hospital have a lactation consultant? A midwife?  Anyone who  could
be her advocate to the staff?
I have done all sort of unconventional things (at least according to the
Army) in the process of birthing and parenting the way I wanted to despite many
people's best efforts to make it otherwise.  It takes a lot of energy and
knowing where to go to get help to make it happen.  I would be happy to  talk to
her by phone or by email if she would like.
BTW--most military facilities have really great support for breastfeeding
mothers as well as great medical care in general.  I am trying to combat  (no
pun intended) this notion that military healthcare is somehow  sub-standard.
Sincerely,
Christine Pillado, CLC
El Paso, TX