ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:12:04 -0400

from: [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~cwp/Phase2/Franklin,[log in to unmask]

Some of Franklin's important contributions to the discovery of the
structure of DNA were posthumously reported by Francis Crick and
James Watson. For example, Watson reports that they had to abandon
their early three chain model of DNA after she pointed out that the
phosphates in the molecule were likely hydrated and on the
outside.[The Double Helix]

Her colleague Maurice Wilkins, without obtaining her permission, made
available to Watson and Crick her then unpublished X-ray diffraction
pattern of the B form of DNA , which was crucial evidence for the
helical structure. In his account of this discovery, Watson wrote:

"The instant I saw the picture my mouth fell open and my pulse began
to race.... the black cross of reflections which dominated the
picture could arise only from a helical structure... mere inspection
of the X-ray picture gave several of the vital helical parameters."
[The Double Helix]

Frances Crick wrote that

"Rosalind Franklin was only two steps away from the solution [of the
structure of DNA]. She needed to realize that the two
[sugar-phosphate] chains must run in opposite directions and that the
bases, in their correct tautomeric form, were paired together." ["The
Double Helix: A Personal View", Crick]

Also, I recall reading that Crick's wife and Rosalind Franklin were
good friends and that they Crick and Franklin reconciled and were
friends until Franklin's death. I think Crick's wife was French and

Franklin enjoyed French culture and French conversation; Ann Sayre
reports that "she was credited by her [French] colleagues with
speaking the best French any of them had ever heard in a foreign
mouth." [Rosalind Franklin and DNA].

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, PhD