ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katherine Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:36:02 -0700

According to Nova (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/photo51/about.html) she
wasn't acknowledged because

"In 1951 [Franklin] accepted a post at King's College London to study the
structure of DNA with [Maurice] Wilkins. The two didn't get along and
pursued their work separately, with Franklin discovering two different forms
of DNA and making detailed X-ray pictures of each type. Her Photo 51, which
required 100 hours of exposure in May 1952, was exceptional.

The following January, without her knowledge, Wilkins casually showed the
image to Watson, who was unofficially working on the DNA problem with Crick
at Cavendish Laboratory in nearby Cambridge."

The picture provided key inspiration for Watson and Crick, allowing them to
make their breakthrough. When Watson and Crick won the Nobel prize for their
discovery, Maurice Wilkins was included; Rosalind Franklin was ineligible
because she had died. Try tracking down the episode of Nova, or the book
it's based on (Rosalind Franklin: the dark lady of DNA) for more details.

--
Katherine Ziff
Manager of School and Community Programs

(415) 339-3922