From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:11:53 -0500
-----Original Message-----
Yes, I think all nurses should have mandatory breastfeeding classes,
just like they have mandatory classes in anything that is part of their
job description. But not classes on how much better breastfeeding is
than bottlefeeding.  We need to stop focusing on changing their
attitude. They need to change what they DO. What they really need are
classes (or one on one when necessary) to help them help mother in a
quicker more efficient way. Positioning and attachment ( hints that
we've learned over the years), newborn cues and alert and awake
states(so they can teach mother when baby may be ready to eat and when
not: not just the clock), some things to do when new babies are too
sleepy  or not ready to latch (kangaroo care and pumping)so they can
tell the next shift they've done "something" , how to do RPS and when it
may be needed etc. etc.  I think what I mean to say is that  what they
need are the techniques, not the why. I believe they'll say (as far as
the "why") that they've heard it all.
Cheryl Muller RNC IBCLC
PS Sorry about the rant. I've just come to believe we need to take
changing "attitude" out of the mix.  After all, I don't believe we
should do so many IVs, but I'm proud of the fact that I can get an IV in
almost anybody. Maybe our anti-breastfeeding nurses can become the same.
In other words not really FOR breastfeeding, but with an "I can get
almost any baby to breast" attitude.