From:
Nicole Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:32:52 -0500
Hi Donna,

I appreciate your response very much.  Thanks for taking the time to
respond. I also appreciate that you were kind with your words.  I can see
how my post could have made you feel defensive.  I apologize to those
involved with milk banking, if your blood pressure went up after reading my
post.  I really thought my question was based in truth.

I think it would be helpful to the folks on this list if you (or someone)
could give us a quick (or lengthy) lesson in how all this works.  I am a
willing recipient of information and am hopeful that my post was indeed
incorrect.

I received several replies so far from Lactnetters asking me to share
whatever I found out.  (I also received 1 similar to yours conveying concern
that I did not have the correct information about milk banking.)  It is
clear from the replies, that I am not the only one who is under these
"impressions".  I had 3 Lactnetters tell me they donated their milk
privately to a mother, so that it wouldn't go to research.  As far as the
validity of the Mennonite woman's story.  All I can say is, she told it to
me last Sunday.  I almost quoted her word for word.  In addition, I was at a
LLL Retreat that same weekend and I had 2 conversations with some small
groups of Leaders where we discussed this very issue.  Every single person I
talked to was under the same impression as myself.  And a few of them had
done private donations, because of their perception of how the milk banking
system works.

So this begs the question....how did this urban legend get started AND is
there any truth to it?  Maybe Valerie can help us with that one. :-)

I've been trying hard to recall from years past, where I got this impression
about milk banking. And I honestly don't know. My impression is that it
isn't financially feasible to run a milk bank without selling the milk for
research.   I'm going to thumb through my breastfeeding advocacy books and
see what I find there.

So please if this isn't true, educate us and tell us how to get more of
these started.  I'm in Missouri--The closest ones to the women I serve are
Texas and Colorado.

Respectfully,
Nikki Simmons