From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:08:30 -0500
Heather Welford Neil stated that she things that health care systems cannot
overcome inequities in socioeconomic status.  That is simply not the case.
When I was at Johns Hopkins many many years ago (1983-1985) there were
plenty of studies showing that Kerala State, one of the poorer in India had
one of the best health care systems and lowest infant mortality rates in
that country.  Similarly, Cuba had, at that time a much lower infant
mortality rate than other similar countries which much higher GDPs.  I'm
sure someone else who is more up to date on health economics could come up
with many more up to date examples.  I've heard from my public health
friends, but don't have the actual articles to back it up, that the health
status of rural populations in China is declining along with the erosion in
the "barefoot doctors".

The inequity is that those with lower socioeconmic status do not have access
to adequate medical care.

Susan Burger