Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:35:00 EDT
I was distressed to see the suggestion about taping the supplementer to a
gloved finger.  The problem  I see is not the tape but the glove. If you are
using a latex glove, you may be contributing to the baby developing a latex
allegy.  Please do not introduce latex into a baby's mouth.  When I worked at the
hospital, I saw aides, hearing techs and even the photographer inserting latex
gloved fingers into babies' mouths in order to calm the babies.
The incidence of latex allergies is growing at an alarming pace, and we need
to look at what we are doing to contribute to this increase.
 I have come very close to dying twice this summer due to latex allergies,
(my MD said I have had 2 second chances at life), and I wish that I could go
back and reduce my exposures over the past 15 years. I have lost my career, am
almost housebound now, and have to call food manufacturers each day to check on
the safety of the food I eat.  Let's make the world safer for these babies.
Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC