From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:10:13 -0500
I am a few days behind due to a very busy weekend, so this may have already
been said.

In her post about her challenging baby, Cindi Swisher states:

"Her tongue is flat at end, like a square.  Seems shorter than average.
Very visible frenulum.  She is able to extend tongue past gumline.  Mother
states that some of her other children had tongue ties and one had it
clipped.  I don't think that is "the" issue here.  It doesn't look as if
this frenulum could be clipped anyway."

I wouldn't rule out the tongue yet.  Perhaps baby is "humping" the tongue in
an attempt to get it extended forward so that the rear portion of the tongue
is trying to move forward but is prevented by the attachment of the forward
part of the tongue.  I have noted that just because baby can extend past the
gumline doesn't mean it will stay there.  It is as if there is a tight
rubber band pulling back on the tongue so that baby can't maintain the
extended position.  Then baby will extend, but after a short time the tongue
is pulled back so baby must extent it again and this process keeps repeating
which can cause friction leading to soreness and may be enough extra "work"
to be tiring and/or frustrating to the baby.

Winnie