Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:16:12 -0600
I have a few responses to the allergy issue...below are a few excerpts form
different posts:

<<...allergist skin test indicated no allergies!>>

this is not unusual in an infant, which is why allergy testing is not
reliable in this population.  Their immature immune system cannot be relied
upon to "test" positive even when an allergy is truly present.

<<Anyone else experience this or work with a mom experiencing this type of
allergically behaving baby who didn't respond to any of the above attempts
to decipher the allergy or treat it?>>

Yes-unforunately I have.  There have been a handful who cannot come up with
what is causing the problem.  I have known women to resort to eating
elemental formulas themselves to clear their babies' symptoms, but they are
unusually dedicated mothers.  Unfortunately each mother has her own limit as
to what she will eliminate...some refuse to eliminate anything...most will
try at least a few things.

<<Testing the mothers milk to see how it compares to other breastmilk.  Is
something deficient, too much of something??? >>

I have not tested anyone's milk, but there is some research suggesting that
mothers of these infants have low levels of IgA in their breastmilk, which
would make sense, since the IgA helps protect the gut from foreign invaders.
I rarely mention this data to moms though, as it is preliminary and would
seem to "blame" them and their milk for the baby's problems.  It is also
true we have no data on long-term sequelea of chronic gut inflammation in
infancy, which I also tell moms...but I wouldn't be surprised if we someday
find that there ARE some.

My two cents-

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
Lincoln, NE