From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:02:34 -0500
"Upon observation, it is as if the baby has too much breast in the top of
his mouth and not enough to work with his lower jaw. His use of the bottle
is very passive, he swallows a lot of air and seems to struggle with its
poisition in his mouth. He does not flange his lower lip or grasp the bottle
very far past the nipple. "

Jennifer, does this baby have any other characteristics that are unusual?
It sounds like something really strange is going on here...but without
seeing the baby, I am having trouble visualizing it.  Older babies often
will not be open to latch changes, I notice.  It's frustrating, to say the
least.  When was the tongue clipped?

It's amazing she has a great milk supply after all this.

As for politics, I understand that this is a difficult and important
subject. Very important. To clarify, Lactnet's focus is to support those who
support breastfeeding mothers...and while we appreciate the seriousness of
these subjects and the developments around this worldwide, we ask that
subscribers sharpen the focus on breastfeeding support when posting to
Lactnet.

Politics and related discussions that directly involve breastfeeding and
breastfeeding support are welcome. Especially when the discussions are
fairly brief and to the point.  In fact, all posts that can be as brief as
possible are easy to read...and to digest and respond to.  It has been
suggested that if we cannot discuss politics, then we have discounted the
power of breastfeeding ... In our society.

And it is for this very purpose, to support and emphasize the power of
breastfeeding and human milk in our society, that we sharpen our focus on
Lactnet.  I understand that it can be frustrating ...as Lactnet cannot be
all things to all people, especially a wonderful group of very passionate
people.  Same with LLLI. They also had to limit themselves to one cause,
that of supporting breastfeeding mothers.... And this caused great
consternation. Understandably. As I said, many other subjects such as
circumcision, immunization, the merits of GMO, or problems,etc, can be
extremely important...but we cannot allow the list to spiral off in those
discussions.  I appreciate the concern and frustration, and hope that the
subscribers will appreciate that we  have chosen  our way, which may not
work for all.  It is not a better or worse path, just different.  I
appreciate the understanding in this issue... Thank you, and Happy New Year.