From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:22:03 EST
I have permission to post.  Baby is second child, 5 weeks old and  gaining
well.  Mother has exclusively breastfed from birth and has copious  milk supply.
 Mother is very experienced in child care and very well  educated.  She has
been under and enormous amount of stress (moved into new  house three days
prior to birth and found out the week of Christmas that her  mother is very
ill...her mother lives in another country) and has not been  eating well (read: one
sandwich per day).

For the last week her son has been spitting up milk after each feed.   It
seems to be getting more frequent and larger in volume as time goes on.   I was
at her house yesterday and watched a feed.  Baby latches well and  GULPS milk.
He has only fed for about five minutes at a time since birth  and eats every
3 hours or so.  I was concerned about this initially(within  the first week of
life) and asked her to increase frequency and duration of  feeds.  She did
and he has since settled back into this same pattern.   He was 7.3lbs at birth,
was well over birth weight at 2 week check and was over  9lbs. last week.

After the nursing session I observed yesterday he spit up a small amount of
milk on mom.  I then held him and spit up several more times.  Each  time he
does not seem to be in pain or gassy, the milk looks very thin and not  like
digested milk or any curds.  Mother had emailed a LLLL in Germany (she  is
German) to ask about spitting up and was told to curb pacifier use.  I  have never
heard of pacifier use being related to baby spitting up after a feed  but not
sure I understood the translation very well either??  Since  pacifiers aren't
needed (esp. for healthy 5 week old!) I told mom to curb use as  well.

I talked to her about fore and hind milk imbalance and over-active  MER.  I
asked about bowel movements.  He has plenty and she said they  have curds and
are yellow.  I asked about green stools.  I changed the  diaper after the feed
and it was indeed green, the first such stool mom has  seen.

After reading Patricia Gima's post re: low-fat diet and Omega-3 and flax
seed oils I called mom and asked her to start taking these and to nurse on one
side only for a 3-4 hour period and nurse more frequently and see what
happens.  She mentioned this morning that he is also spitting up milk in  his sleep.
Never appears to be in pain or uncomfortable.

Any other thoughts on this??  I feel like I am guessing because there  are
some variables that cross over into several catergories (allergy/sensitivity  to
mother's diet, her lack of fat/calories, fore/hind milk, MER etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Christie Pillado, CLC
El Paso, TX