Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:50:42 +0000
>Can we please leave off political statements??? Lactnet is not the
>place to promote certain political beliefs. Not everyone thinks
>people such as Michael Moore are heros, or truth tellers. Not
>everyone hates the government, this one, or the last one, or the
>next one. We don't all necessarily believe the same way so let's
>leave off the political statements and stick to breastfeeding. We
>all are entitled to our own opinions but please leave the attack
>mode for another forum besides Lactnet. What one writes in an email
>is way too easily misconstrued due to not being able to see the
>facial expressions and tone of voice. It is helpful to reread one's
>post before hitting send to see how others might feel when reading
>it. Or ask a friend to edit it for you. And remember that tolerance
>has to work both ways -- you need to be tolerant of others beliefs
>and they need to be tolerant of yours. Thanks, Kathy Eng

Kathy, if the listmothers agree with your implication  that we cannot
put bf into a political context, then I apologise for what I am about
to write.

I agree that we should not use Lactnet to 'promote certain political
beliefs' and too much discussion pro or anti-Michael Moore is going
to reduce our focus on breastfeeding support.

But I for one find there are very few statements one can make, or
questions one can ask, about bf and/or bf support that *are not*
political.

Why do black American women breastfeed less than their white
counterparts? And why is this the opposite in the UK (where black
women are more likely to breastfeed)? The answer is political.

Why did urban and then later, rural, mothers stop breastfeeding in
the US and in Western Europe? The answer is political.

Who prioritises money above the health of mothers and babies and why
is this permitted? The answers are political.

And so on.

I do, however, think it is possible to be an advocate for
breastfeeding whatever part of the political spectrum anyone finds
themselves on.

I would welcome a Michael Moore-style  look at the politics and the
tactics of the formula industry.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK