From:
Heleen en Harmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:31:05 +0100
On 23 Dec 2004 at 22:31, Janice Reynolds wrote:

> From the Hong Kong website:  news.gov.kk
>
> http://www3.news.gov.hk/isd/ebulletin/en/category/healthandcommunity/0
> 41223/ html/041223en05003.htm Your shorter link is:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?S4401291A
>
> Infant formula powder recalled

Thank you Janice. For those of you who are interested I have quite
some information on the French cases. The Hong Kong press release
only mentions four children, there are at least 9 infections with
enterobacter sakazakii. From the press release of the French Health
authorities, which can be found in French at
http://www.sante.gouv.fr/htm/actu/31_041217b.htm and
http://www.sante.gouv.fr/htm/actu/31_041210.htm
I translate a section of the second press release of 17 december:

---Quote--- my translation ----
The laboratory of Mead Johnson Nutritionals, in accord with the
health authorities, today proceeds to recall all lots of Pregestimil
present on the national market.
No box of Pregestimil must be used.
This decision follows the description to date of four cases of
infections, of which two have died, as well as five cases of the
digestive system by the bacteria Enterobacter sakazakii. The results
of epidemiological research show that it is about premature newborns
all hospitalised in Neonate units, of which 8 have in common that
they were fed with Pregestimil. No new deaths have been described
since the three first lotes were recalled on December 10, 2004.
---Unquote--- my translation ---

Thanks to you I checked their site again and found a new press
release of yesterday evening:
http://www.sante.gouv.fr/htm/actu/31_041223b.htm

This press release advises on which products may be used as a
substitute.
From parents forums I understand that to date many parents are
insecure on what to do. Quite a number of them complain that their
relatively older children (6-18 months of age, from the top of my
head) have had stinking and weird looking bowel movements the last
couple of months and changing formula was the only thing that helped.
They also complain that the docters didn't know about the recall when
they went to hospital on about dec. 11/12 with a feverish young
infant on pregestimil.

--
Heleen Hayes
www.xs4all.nl/~hhayes