From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:35:40 EDT
I am posting with permission.  One mother came to our monthly new mothers
networking meeting last week, very upset that her 3 month old was refusing to
nurse, screaming very soon after latch on.  We figured it was a nursing strike
and gave her all the information she needed.  This baby was being giving one
bottle of expressed milk a day from almost birth (their idea) so it really wasn't
a nipple confusion.  I did get the baby to nurse after the meeting and the
mom cried - she thought that it would never happen again. Things kept getting
better the next day and now everything is back to normal.  The strange thing
that came out of this through a discussion on the flu vaccine, was that this mom
had the flu shot on sat and this all started to happen on sunday.  It lasted
maybe 6 days.  Has anyone heard of a baby refusing to nurse after mom got the
flu shot?  Does it change the taste of the milk ?  Is there something in there
that could upset the stomach ?  Could it increase MER?  Thankfully everything
is fine now   - I just still wonder.

Thanks
Donna Kimick,IBCLC.RLC
Massapequa Park, NY
((still getting used to those wonderful letters :) ))

"It's the lucky baby, I feel, who continues to nurse until he's two."
Antonia Novello, MD, MPH, DrPH
Surgeon General 1990-1993

Donna Kimick, IBCLC
LakeShore Lactation & Breastfeeding Center