From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:16:31 -0700
Sara did not mention the race of the mother, so I assume she is not Black -
here in the US, I have had quite a few moms who were African American who
had some thick layers of skin that sloughed off the first few weeks after
the baby was born.  The peeled skin was often visible in the baby's mouth,
even though moms did try to gently remove it if it was lose - but it didn't
seem to get loose until baby was nursing.

For these moms, we used food oils (corn or olive if no allergies) or Lanolin
and gently massaged prior to nursing to get the loose skin off, as it upset
them and their families (babies didn't seem concerned) to see the skin in
the baby's mouth.

After the first few weeks, the moms and I think the skin still sloughed off,
but not as copiously and they were more used to it - but they would find
skin on their breast pads at times, so they figured it was still happening
that the babies were just dealing with it!

I am not sure that what she described is what I have seen, but thought to
bring this up anyway!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, California