Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:27:20 -0500
Just a short note to wish you all a Happy and healthy New Year from Northern
Vermont. At this time of the year, I always look back and appreciate what
has been accomplished in the year gone by...and I am again grateful for the
contributions you all make on Lactnet. The original purpose of Lactnet was
to support those who support breastfeeding mothers around the world. Some
friends of mine were very isolated, and by supporting them, I felt that
Lactnet would help them to continue to be well supported as they worked in
their own communities. I know that many friendships have been made via
Lactnet, between those in Israel, and Africa, and all over the world...and I
am indeed happy for this.

From time to time, it is necessary to draw the list back to the original
purpose. There are endless worthy points to be made about many subjects,
including circumcision, immunization, public health policy and
breastfeeding, politics and breastfeeding, and general lactation science.  I
ask that now, we refocus ourselves on the issues of lactation science and
support for our colleagues around the world as they struggle with
breastfeeding problems.

I would like to see more of us addressing the clinical questions that come
up, and less defense of opinion, or reputation, or definitions, public
policy choices, and politics. These are all WORTHY. They are not the focus
of Lactnet, but are good subjects for in depth discussion elsewhere.  I ask
us to refocus on the clinical issues and questions, and on the science and
approaches to breastfeeding issues and problems, as this will help the list
do what it is intended to do.   This is why I volunteer my time.... To stand
as a support system to those doing the work of helping mothers breastfeed,
and more than that, helping mothers ENJOY breastfeeding, and their children.

If anyone wishes to know how to start a listserv, or a discussion group, I
would be glad to coach on this. Please email privately, and let's listen to
the silence that is occurring ...because of the arguments and negative
tonality.  I hear nothing from some of our best subscribers.. Let's open up
some space, energy, and room for our focus subject, please.  To all of you
who are quiet, please speak up. I myself am planning on making it a huge
point to answer clinical questions that come up. It is my job, as an
experienced IBCLC, to coach and mentor those who are not so far along in the
process, and I will take up that responsibility anew this coming year.

Happy New Year, and Peace to all.

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc. Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html