Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:26:30 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/2004 7:47:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Stools and Formula?
I've encouraged my daughter to switch to non-DHA formula so that perhaps  his
stools would become more normal.  Interesting to hear that your niece's
stools are normal and almost resemble breastmilk stools.  I wonder if the
difference is the Similac Advance vs. the Enfamil Lipil (which Deven is
getting.

What have others seen?
I know it's a long time past, but I'm just catching up; I recently have
experience with this.
My gr-baby was started on exclusive BM x 1mo,- normal BM stools.

Next 2 mos-nursing all night w/EBM or Goat's milk Formula OR Similac Advance
during day= Stools changed GRADUALLY very slightly to a thicker yellow (but
easily cleaned off-very different from formula stool when I was pedi nurse 2
decades ago), with an OCCASIONAL green/odorous/pasty one. These looked remarkably
different, but were only once every 4-5days.Some gassiness during these.

4-5mos-Gradually went to ALL Similac Advance- stools still mostly yellow,
easily cleaned off, with a VERY occasional greenish one. Now @ %.5 mos babe has 2
teeth and has had only 1 minor cold all infancy- starting solids w/o probs.
I've only had prof experience in past w/ formula as pedi nurse (5 exclusive
BF kiddos myself, long-time nursers), and was a bit surprised at how close to
BF some of his stools appeared (and even smelled).
Believe me, I wouldn't even suggest that Formula is a GOOD choice at all.
BUT- I am assuming that the protective gut flora set down by  EXCLUSIVE BF in
the beginning is easily evidenced (and tracked) by the stool's appearance way
after exclusive Formula feeding.
Perhaps a study tracking the actual Lactobacillus content of stools from
exclusive BF into Formula?
It might keep some moms nursing longer if we could say "after X months of
exclusive BM, X amount of BM a day minimum is necessary to maintain good gut
health" (it's still such a battle to convince moms that a tiny bit of BM is better
than none)
Sorry so long- just  felt I could add to this subject-
(I commiserate with Jan B and Nancy-funny how our kids are STILL causing us
to grow !-And I was very proud of my SON's efforts to get BM into his babe)

Lucia Jenkins RN,IBCLC
Wakefield, Ma
"May the day never see the setting sun without seeing some breastmilk run."