From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:19:38 -0400
forwarded with permission:

mom delivered at home, full term healthy male infant.....severe pph
2.5L.  transfered to hosp....placental manually removed...iv abx.

baby nursed well from the beginning, Lact II at 72 hours.  fantastic
supply, great positioning. baby gaining well, looks *wonderful*.

at 2 weeks pp, her nipples became 'sore'.  she describes 'wincing' as he
latched, when shirt rubbed against her, when water touched her nipples
in the shower....while baby was nursing though, it seemed fine.

at this first nipple pain (we'll call that day one), classic yeast signs
were present...shiny, pink nipples...white patches in baby's mouth.
'meant' to get out and get some gv.....during that time had two nights
of deep shooting breast pain.

  gentian violet was started per newman's protocol on day four....day 4-6
she has massive improvement.....gv on day 7 as well as well (4th day of
gv).....day eight she stopped.  on the eve of day eight (after 4d gv,
then one day of none), the deep shooting breast pains started again.
she started gv eod per a handout on breastfeeding.com (our own Pat
Gima's!!:))

she did gv on her nipples and baby's mouth for a total of 7 days....the
first three days in a row, then after that eod.

some days it seems gone and there is no pain at all.  other days there
is nipple pain - she describes it as 'coming and going'. we're on teh
phone right now and he just nursed and it wasn't painful latching or
nursing.   however, at 6 am this morning, during nursing, she was crying
b/c of the shooting pains in her left breast (however, sometimes it's
her right breast).

no color changes and nipples now look normal.

this mom has a clean clean diet (meat, veggies, almonds, almond butter,
homemade guacamole, lots of garlic).....is taking a fabulous prenatal,
adequate/extra (but not too much) zinc, sufficient cal/mag, fish oil,
coconut oil for cooking........

  she's going to start apno today, but that's more b/c she just wants to
feel that she's doing something proactive.

Jennifer, this mom is very very open/alterntive and would welcome any
suggestions you have.   she's about to start on some ofthe stronger
antifungal herbs.....and we have Aviva here as a reference for herb
safety while breastfeeding....

:)
katherine in atl