From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:27:17 -0300

>How is IBCLC(student) different to  PhD(cand.)?
>

>The first is a professional credential, second is an academic one.  And
>PhD (cand.) usually means the coursework is done, the thesis is written,
>reviewed and submitted and all that remains is the defense which is, or
>should be, fairly straightforward and with no surprises.

I'm not sure I "get" why this is an important distinction, but in any
case, I can't say that I find it accurate. Many people use PhD (cand)
or, more often, PhD (ABD) when their thesis is written, but many use it
when they are writing their thesis, as well. In Québec there is a
particular expression for this which works effectively, but as far as I
know there is no neat way to translate « en rédaction » (and until I
began reading this thread I assumed I was well qualified to know if
there was one). In any case, ask any person who has been admitted into a
PhD program and they are PhD students.

When someone posts that they are an IBCLC student, I assume that the
person has qualified to sit the exam or has determined she will be
qualified to sit the exam. A better choice of words would be LC student,
perhaps, since LC is not a controlled term. However, there is no neat
way of saying that you are studying "lactation consultancy" either, is
there?

I am far more concerned that this person is now probably shocked and
discouraged about pursuing her chosen career. The statement from the
member of the BoD was certainly accurate -- the Board of the IBLCE is
the only body who can determine such things. I know that such
determinations are important, because we need to prevent the public from
being unable to judge who is an IBCLC and who has less competency. But
here, no one was claiming to be an IBCLC. And, I'm afraid that, to my
ears, the post sounded less like a presentation of new information than
a reminder to play by the rules, especially given the threat of legal
action. The person who wrote IBCLC (student) did not know there was
anything wrong with doing this. Nor could she be expected to know that,
given the fact that those of us with the qualifications are discussing
it in this manner. The statement in the ignature called for information,
not disciplinary action.

An even lengthier discussion could be had -- and probably will be --
about the way people go about attaining their credentials, how we need
to have one clear path to the credentials. And at some point I will
become dismayed, feel less deserving or competent, and then stop reading
Lactnet for a while until I recover. Since I didn't read the post that
started all of this, may I suggest to the person that she join
IBCLC2B@yahoogroups (which may become a banned group, given its name
<bg>) or at least write to me so that we can bolster each other's spirits.

Recognition of diversity of interpretations, sensitivity, compassion,
and sincere interest in developing inclusivity are essential elements of
the way we communicate with our clients and with each other. It is
difficult, but worth the effort.

Signing with my credentials carefully lined up,
Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, B.A. (Hon), M.A., PhD, IBCLC, RLC, Cert.
Tr.(Fr>En), full member CTINB and (by affiliation) CTIC, full member
LTAC, LLSC, LLLL, CSDF, etc.