From:
Gretchen Serafin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:29:21 -0400
Several years ago, I was approached by two childbirth educators who were
seeking experience to ready them for the IBCLC exam. One is an RN, the
other a med tech. At that time they both taught at another hospital that
had refused their offer to volunteer in the lactation department to gain
experience. We hired them to do some teaching (that got them in the door)
and they came in as volunteers to shadow our lactation consultants. Once
they were ready to fly, we began to pay them, since we use a blend of
lactation educators and consultants in our service. late, both successfully
sat the exam. One still works as an LC with us and has established a
private practice. The other went on to open a service at a new hospital in
the area. This mentoring experience was win-win to all involved.