Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 17:01:53 -0600
8bit
From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
 "just stopped breastfeeding at 10 months, but wants to get pregnant one more
time."

very interesting- she already did it once so whats the question?

I attend the perinatal conference at my hospital and such a case was presented.
The resident reviewing the disorder said that the text book states that
"Breastfeeding is contraindicated" and that a Haberman feeder should be used
with vaseline on it.

In this particular case mom had EB and so prenatal genetic testing was done and
baby also had it.  So they didn't want to put friction on the mothers nipples
to cause her to errupt in boullae nor the infants mouth and cause HIM (or her)
to errupt in boullae.  Apparently there are several variants and levels of
severity, some get better as they get older.

I felt outraged.  This mother was able to have intercourse enough to get
pregnant and she had a vaginal delivery! Although when I brought this up, they
said that they had a hard time with the fetal monitor because the mother felt
it was causing too much friction, so they thought she would never tolerate
pumping.  Still I discussed this with Alicia Dermer- she also thought that the
mother probably could have done some gentle hand expression.  And as for the
baby- do you really think that a Haberman feeder is softer than a mothers
nipple?  Couldn't you just as well grease her nipple?

This mother's doctor should write up her case so there will something in the
literature!  Next time- doctors like the ones in my hospital get a case like
this, they could at least say- although the recommendations are not to
breastfeed- there is one case in the literature who did.

Amy M. Kotler, MD FAAP
Dover Pediatrics
LLLI Breastfeeding Resource Center
Doctors Park 369 W. Blackwell St