Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:45:07 -0500
>WIC is mostly an educational setting.  They don't do any hands on helping of
>actual mothers and babies - at least in Maryland.
I'm very glad you qualified your statement because here in MA we do LOTS
of hands on helping.  For instance, at my office I have at least one 8 hr
day (often more) "dedicated" to breastfeeding a week.  On that day I can
see private consults for as long as I wish, distribute electric pumps if
necessary, make home visits if need be, etc.  On the other days I also
see breastfeeding women and do "hands on helping" but your correct in
that time is limited, however if a mom presented with a problem that
couldn't wait until my "breastfeeding only" day I would still help her no
matter how long it took.  I am able to do this because of the recognition
by my director that breastfeeding should/needs to be supported...and I
will say not all WIC programs in MA are the same or similar BUT please we
do need to be careful when making generalizations.  WIC is a business and
is dependent on "numbers" but hopefully not at the expense of providing
hands on help when needed.  I think also that many WIC CLC's or LC's
(myself included) recognize their limitations within the WIC walls and
refer out if the senario gets too complicated and that deserves a round
of applause for using their resources well (if only MD's would do the
same).  I DON'T think they offer formula as a solution, although other
WIC staff may.

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC BF Co
Listmom wicbfnet and MLCANET
Brockton, MA