From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:42:30 EDT
I too watched and waited -- It was like watching a tennis match and I kept
hoping someone would get a good hit.  But it never really happened.  I totally
agree this doctor was not the one that should have been talking about
breastfeeding.

I have seen many segments on The Today Show go completely the wrong way. This
one was almost heading in the right direction.

 I know from speaking to pediatricians that this is a hard platform for them
to really take a strong position.  Yes, we do have those few amazing peds --
some on this list, that are not afraid to voice their opinions, but it is sad
that some are still afraid of giving moms anymore guilt then they already have.
 I have spoken to so many moms about this, when they are at that vulnerable
stage, sore nipples, no sleep etc. I ask them do you really want to nurse? or
do you feel you have to nurse? Then I go from there and I explain the benefits
and that not nursing doesn't always make things better -- it can actually be
worse. i.e. reflux and formula allergies (I know this one first hand).  I share
with them my feelings of when my doctors had me stop nursing 13 1/2 yrs ago
and the horror that unfolded afterwards, not to scare them just to let them
know it is not always easier.  They take from it whatever they want.

Support is the most important factor for these moms.  We have monthly
meetings that are becoming more and more popular, moms meet others nursing moms and
they bond, share and support.

So yes this morning was a bit of a downer -- but at least it is on TV at all
-- everyone will take from it whatever they need.  We cannot force those moms
that just do not want to nurse to nurse.  But we can be there for the ones
that do want to and are having trouble.  It is education that is needed, and of
course the doctors need to find a comfortable space for them in this too.  I
just hope we can help them in that too.

Ps - I too hate those "Well some moms just cannot nurse..." we know that that
percentage is very small -- and a great excuse for those that do not want to.
IMO

Donna Kimick
Intern LC ..... Oct 15 th and waiting