HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:59:57 -0500
As I recall, the late Ian Walker among others insisted that they were
not kaolin pipes, but "white ball clay pipes" because they were not
actually made of kaolin, but for some reason the misnomer persists.
Walker's 4-volume study on the Bristol tobacco pipe industry, published
by Parks Canada in the '70s, is an excellent reference, and may have
some information on 18th-century use.  Plenty of information exists, of
course, for the 19th and 20th centuries.

Lauren Cook