HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:48:00 -0600
HISTARCHers:

I agree with Rob Burnett about pushing the explanations about sub-floor

deposits too far. That said, I always try to explain the phenomenon myself,

coming up with a different hypothesis each time (usually hypotheses). The

latest (you folks will be tired of my saloon by the time the report's

published and will know so much about it you won't need the report) is the

Mascot Saloon in Skagway, Alaska (1897-1904). Tons of stuff under the

saloon, after it was built in 1898. Explanations:

1) Early floor had big cracks between floor boards so they wouldn't have to

sweep the sawdust out the door. Evidence: sawdust, lots of coins and poker

chips, broken glass, peanut and other nut hulls.

2) When they cleaned up the yard, they deliberately shoved the junk under

the building. Evidence: Trash was denser at the edges than in the middle.

3) Periodic flooding brought sheet trash from the perimeter under the

building. Known floods and high tides in 1897, 1901, and 1904 came above

the  elevation of the outside surface. Some silt deposits remained under

the building. The artifacts, particularly glass, would settle out before

silt. A natural drainage pattern existed under the building, although a

mound at one place would have allowed for the trapping of some artifacts,

especially, the larger, heavier glass items.

4) A cluster of a dozen broken Jesse Moore-Hunt bourbon bottles under the

building, but near the back may indicate a deliberate destruction of a

crate of bottles prior to a customs raid in 1898 before the sale of liquor

was legal.

All of this I took into consideration when doing my functional and spatial

analyses. Hence the need to consider the reasons for why the stuff was

there.

If you're in York in January, come hear my paper on the Mascot (Jeez, she's

shameless, isn't she?). You folks just gave me something else to talk

about.

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨

National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨

505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American

              people so that all may experience our heritage.