HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:47:43 -0500
At the risk of being "politically incorrect" I remember from reading
somewhere that "archaeology" is referred to as the "hand maiden" of history,
which of course is one of the weirdest approbations one could use for
archaeology. I once heard a cluster of terms for archaeology and history
that seemed more relevant to it (that is if and where archaeology is allowed
to exist, i.e., Adolph Hitler was none too happy with the "Beaker Culture"
that seemed to precede his grand vision of the past, and that archaeologist,
whose names escapes me, should have been given a Noble prize perhaps) to
"confirm or corroborate or negate" certain aspects of history, testable in a
scientific method.