HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:31:30 -0800
Hello....I haven't pestered you all for a while...at least not asking about
a bottle.  Well our trench monitor found yet another 'discovery' of
historic trash this week...with LOTs of Adolphus Busch and Amer. Bottling
Co. agua beer bottles (many whole ones)...and other brown  beverage
bottles...one embossed with "DRINK Lemon Beer"...along with some pressed
glass pieces, a milk glass bird feeder (that was puzzling for a
while)...and ceramics (not many maker marks tho, darn).

But what is puzzling me the most is cute, medium size cobalt blue jar (~
2.5" dia. 3 1/4" tall) with a threaded metal lid....embossed with Cocoline
on the body (the lower part of the C is brought across to underline the
rest of the word)....and TRIUMPH MFG Co. / BUFFALO N.Y. on the base (in a
circle, inside the base rest).  With the lid on, it can't be seen if the
seam goes to the lip, but it does go to the bottom 'ring' under the
threads.  Other bottles in the assemblage have added lips however.

Does anyone...have any info on this company...product (I assume some sort
of cocoa)...and dates of manufacture?   My googling came up with a mention
of the Cocoline Chocolate Co. in Brooklyn...but it's only mentioned on porn
pages (you get chocolate if you join?)...so I haven't cared (dared) to
investigate that link further.

If you need an image....I will have to scan it...but can't do so immediately.

THANKS for any help.  :o)    Hope you have a nice, toasty weekend.  We're
in for a gully-washer here in San Diego.

Carol