HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:25:26 +0800
Greg

Have you found out how many burials you have without digging anything up.

I have researched a couple of pioneer graveyards with success here using a
combination of aerial photographic analysis, physical survey and metal
detector survey (for evidence of metal spikes associated with head and foot
places, metal surrounds and nails from wooden ones - none of which you may
have in your case). This sort of work gives you a good idea of the layout of
the cemetery and of course the location of all those unmarked graves.

I have also used ground penerating radar on a couple. It worked really well
in the one that had not been cut and filled to create tennis courts.
Suggested we had some shafts stacked two or three deep. Would any of that
information help you or do you already know that stuff.

Gaye