From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:08:23 -0600
I'm sorry to be late on this reply but I do have a file on toddler biting
that I gleaned from posts on Lactnet over the years.  I will put them out
there and the original poster can select what she wishes.

First of all, it seems as if mothers are careful in positioning in the
first month or so then they grow lax and let baby lead the technique
because it is working fine for everyone.

Then come teeth.  Baby and mother were happy with baby's gums a given
distance apart but with the addition of the bottom two teeth mother has to
convey (usually by an unplanned scream) to baby that a slightly greater
distance is needed. Then come the other teeth and the casual positioning of
a toddler--often sitting on lap and hanging on to the breast while mother
does all sorts of things, ignoring technique.

So here is what Lactnetters have come up with:

There is more sensitivity of the nipples before menstrual periods so
whatever tooth-caused pain will be worse at that time.

Teeth marks are common but they shouldn't hurt.

Use teething tabs to lessen oral pain in baby.

Child/baby needs to be held in such a way as to decrease the pressure of
the upper teeth.  Mother can hold her in a more horizontal position instead
of the lap-sitting angle.

Lift the child higher onto the breast.

If she is nursing on the left side she moves the child a bit toward the
right side, while pressing in on the shoulders to get the chin more deeply
into the breast and to raise the upper teeth away.  This is similar to the
asymmetrical latch of younger days.

Ask baby to open wide and have her tilt her head slightly
backwards.  Telling a baby/child what the problem is and what you wish for
her to do is amazingly effective in effecting change. [This communication
can help in many issues between mother and baby.]

And last, mother can rinse her nipples with a standard saline solution (1/4
tsp salt to 1C water) after feeding and applying a healing ointment.  A
baby/child's saliva is said to change in composition with teething. And
even if that is not sound, the rinse and ointment can aid in healing the
nipples.

I get a call on this topic every couple of months and mothers call back
with smiles in their voices.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]