From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:51:22 -0800
A mother who is forced to use artificial milk will of course want to avoid
the concomitant short- and long-term health risks wherever possible. In
terms of long-term health impacts, I feel there is reason to believe that
the hydrolyzed formulae (Nutramigen, Pregistimil, Alimentum) have a lower
risk profile than less modified cow's milk formula.  I believe the benefits
of using organic ingredients are smaller than the benefits of hydrolysis.

There is also an elemental formula called Neocate.  What it is made from,
perhaps no one knows.  I have talked to company representatives and have not
been enlightened.  Therefore, I cannot recommend it, despite the fact that
hypothetically it could be the least risky option.

In this mother's place, if I were barred from receiving donor milk, I would
choose Nutramigen or Alimentum.  The fact that they are more expensive than
standard cow's milk formula is something of a red herring, since we are
comparing two arbitrarily priced items.  Before concluding I could not
afford a hydrolyzed formula, I would examine my household budget for
unneeded luxury items such as cable TV and the things women gave up in WWII,
such as makeup, stockings, and new dresses.

Actually, I would look harder into obtaining donor milk.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC