Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:59:50 EDT
Judy inquired:
It was mentioned previously in posts that JCAHO has recommendations  for
hospital lactation consultants. I have not been able to find these on  their
website. I also emailed them for informations and the reply I got  said

"JCAHO has no standards or recommendations for lactation consultant  staffing
in hospital OB units. That would be each hospitals decision. The  specific
qualifications for staff and job description would also be defined  by each
hospital in accordance with law and regulation."

Can anyone  clarify this for me.? Any one have some publication with this
information? I  would like this information to create a job proposal/ seek
employment at my  local hospital.

Judy, I am ILCA's rep to JCAHO, and was priviledged to attend the 12th
Annual Liaison Forum in June.  JCAHO has no recommendations for lactation
consultants, birthing or breastfeeding.  Maternal Child health, despite it  being
almost a complete anomaly for a hospital setting (the hospital is for sick
people; birthing and breastfeeding mothers and babies are, in the main, well  people
-- we could argue that making them birth in a hospital has the effect of
making them sick, but we won't go there right now), is lumped in with the
general hospital setting.  The only issue directly related to babies is the
sentinel event on jaundice.  One of my goals is to encourage the Joint  Commission to
start looking at MCH as a separate entity.  I was able to  address
breastfeeding in a couple of different arenas -- patient education is  lacking in
breastfeeding which will help address the jaundice issue because of  the lack of
staffing and nursing education -- another of their "sentinel issues"  (the lack
of nursing staff, that is).  They are also interested in  partnering with the
local communities in prevention of childhood obesity -- of  course, I was able
to point out that childhood obesity prevention begins in the  hospital setting
by making sure there was adequate breastfeeding promotion,  education and
support.  I was also able to give out several copies of  ILCA's Evidence Based
Guidelines for Breastfeeding Management for the First 14  days.

But there is no mention anywhere of IBCLCs.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton  IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com