Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:24:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Dear Brenda,

Many years ago one of my first clients as an IBCLC was an Amish woman with huge nipples - about the size of a quarter.  She had already nursed several babies, but had always been plagued with sore nipples and poor weight gain in the early weeks.  She supplemented the babies using a bottle and a mixture of water and molasses.  She just wanted to know why this was happening and if there was anything else she could do.  There really wasn't anything to be done except get her a pump and wait for the baby to grow into her nipples, which he did after about 6 weeks, just as all the others had before him.  At least the last one got pumped milk instead of the molasses mixture.  She probably had many more after that.  It was the first and last time that I was inside an old Amish home.  Very simple, very clean with kerosene lanterns and candles instead of electric lights.  Several weeks ago I was driving home from a PLD workshop and was delighted to see an Amish farmer bringing in hay on a huge wagon pulled by four Belgium draft horses hooked abreast.  What a lovely sight on a beautiful afternoon!

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr (who loves horses and candles, but couldn't live happily for long without electricity)
Newark, New York

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2