From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:00:43 +1000
Bill Hill:

>Can anyone recommend other noteworthy Barbirolli recordings
>that I should hunt down?

A search at my favourite online store came up with 114 Barbirolli CDs.
Although not my favourite versions, I like his Elgar 1st and 2nd very
much.  His set of the Sibelius symphonies is passionate and exciting,
in some ways not unlike the Osmo Vanska set Jim Tobin mentioned in a
recent post.  They come with some useful fillers, not least several
of the Scenes Historiques (a pity he didn't record them all), and a
cunningly-designed jewel case that holds five CDs.  My very favourite
Barbirolli is his Vaughan Williams London Symphony: I can't imagine a
better performance.  All of these are on EMI.

Richard Pennycuick