From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:19:05 -0400
Last week I discovered that I have both concertos by Fleisher/Szell.
I have no idea where I got this double CD or when, so I decided to take
it for a spin.

Wow!  What performances!

I am interested in what other List members think of these recordings and
which other ones might be favorite versions.  Back in the vinyl days, I
had the Serkin/Ormandy performances and then moved on to the Graffmann/Munch
1st concerto on Victrola.

The Serkin first had a warning that if you were new to Brahms, don't
start with this one.  I considered it a dare and promptly bought it and
have never looked back.

I now have 18 performances of the first (19 if you count the 2 piano
version on Naxos).  Of integral sets, I have Serkin, Gilels, Hough,
Katchen and now Fleisher.  I loved the Hough for a week or two, but now
the Fleisher blows it away.  I didn't care for the Gilels.

My favorite version of the first went from Serkin, to Graffman to a
wonderful recording by Donohoe and now Fleisher.  I don't think this
will change for quite some time.  Fleisher's playing seems extremely
"urgent" and impassioned.  It seems fast, but I haven't timed the various
versions.

What Brahms concertos are favorites of List members out there?

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan