From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:49:58 -0500
Geoffrey Gaskell wrote:

>Bill Hill asks:
>
>>Can anyone recommend other noteworthy Barbirolli recordings
>>that I should hunt down?
>
>One of the more obvious ones is the Elgar Cello Concerto with Du Pre &
>Sea Pictures with Dame Janet Baker.  Also the Elgar Symphonies.

And, on the other side of my disc of the Sea Pictures, one of my absolute
favorite recordings of all time...the Mahler Ruckert Lieder with Baker.
The recording of "Ich bin der Welt..." is for me, unearthly in its beauty.

A few years ago I spent time transferring Barbirolli performances with
the Houston Symphony.  Certainly not the level of the New Philharmonia,
his performances were incredible of most everyting he did, from standard
literature to the likes of the music of Walter Piston and William Schuman.

His performance of the Britten Sinfonia da Requiem, with the New York
Phil, and released in lousy sound, it overwhelming in its power.

Karl