From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:04:14 +1000
I am in contact with a mum who is attempting to breastfeed her daughter
recently adopted from China. The little girl is 3yo and is doing quite well
going by what her mum has told me. However, the big problem is that it is
proving difficult for this mum to find breastfeeding dyads for her daughter
to observe. LLL does not have meetings in her area (far NW US) and though
she'd love to be able to just visit with breastfeeding couples she hasn't
been able to find anyone willing to let her do this. Seeing breastfeeding is
really important for these older children, critical in fact. I was wondering
if anyone in the US/Canada would be willing to provide some video footage of
breastfeeding (esp toddlers) to this mum??

I know it seems crazy to some to try starting breastfeeding with such an old
child but my personal experience as someone whose child started
breastfeeding at 3.5 years (and is still going 2 years later) is that it is
almost impossible to overemphasise how important breastfeeding can be for
children with histories of loss and neglect.

Anyone willing to assist???

Karleen Gribble
Australia