Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mandi Porta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:32:17 -0400
I am not sure if anyone has posted this sort of concept on the site yet but
I thought I would share some thoughts I have had lately.  Please note that
these are based on New Zealand Dollars but the equation could work other
places as well.

What is the Value of Breastmilk?

At Current Market Value, Each Breastfeed would cost about $10.40.
If breastmilk were condensable, a tin would cost about $1300.00

· When formula companies add a new ingredient to their mixes they
charge on average $5.00 extra per tin.
o Each tin gives about 125 feeds to a newborn baby.
· There are approximately 300 ingredients in breastmilk and roughly
40 ingredients in formula.
· At 5 dollars per extra ingredient you would pay roughly $1300.00
per tin of condensed breastmilk.
· That would mean that each feed would have a value of about $10.40.
if you were practicing marketing techniques similar to formula
manufacturers.
· If you add to that health care dollars saved from the reduced
likelihood of your child developing Obesity, Diarrhoea, Leukemia, Breast
Cancer, Hodgkins Disease, Meningitis, Eczema, Heart Disease, Crones
Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Celiac Disease, Ear Infections, Diarrheal
disease, Respiratory infections, Asthma, Allergies, and Diabetes, the value
increases even more.

Why are we squandering this natural resource?

Just thinking aloud.
Cheers,
Mandi Porta, RN, IBCLC