From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:38:56 -0400
Mellanie posts on a baby who is having trouble latching, is jaundiced, and
mother who is engorged, and who has implants under the muscles of her chest
wall.
To me this case sounds like a pretty typical case of engorgement.  The
jaundice level alone does not warrant supplementing with formula after
every feed, IMO, nor does the baby's weight.  I would have strongly
recommended using ways other than bottle feeding to give the baby milk,
just because it sounds like this baby hasn't really demonstrated
convincingly good technique at the breast yet.  I would also be a bit
concerned at no stools on 3rd day, but given the description of mother's
breasts I suspect that engorgement with resultant decreased milk removal
are to blame more than baby's jaundice.
I would suggest trying Reverse Pressure Softening before all attempts at
milk removal, whether by pump or by breastfeeding.  Check the archives on
how to do it, or do a google search for RPS or Jean Cotterman as the
instructions are available on line.  There is also an article with
illustrations in the June issue of JHL.
cheers
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway