Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:42:44 EDT
Arly has asked a question regarding whether Secretary of Health Thompson had
been contacted by anyone regarding the Ad Campaign. His office was sent a
letter by the US Breastfeeding Committee requesting a meeting with him regarding
the changing of the ads. He was unavailable and we subsequently met with Asst
Sec of Health Kevin Keane who oversees health campaigns. The chair of the USBC
was in constant contact with Sec Keane's office and Office on Women's Health.
When we met with Sec Keane in January, the ads had already been changed and
neutralized but the campaign was going to happen. The letters you are referring
to from the infant formula company lobbyists were made available in the
article from the 20/20 TV segment.

The PSA's have been sent to 28,000 media outlets. There are posters available
from OWH and 19 community demonstration projects distributing the ads. The
current NABA newsletter has a chronological summary of events and a page showing
one of the banned ads.

Thank you Arly for the wonderful work you do and I hope this information is
of help.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA