Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:27:00 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
We were just talking about this at our Task Force meeting today!

My strategy is twofold: make the books disappear, &/or educate the bookstore staff. Usually can't do both on the same visit, as I'd get "caught" doing the first by calling attention to myself doing the second!

To make the books disappear, casually pick up one or two & carry them around with you as you browse other sections. The Reference Book area or the Automotive area are two places with a) lots of books that are big enough to "hide" another book behind & b) aren't used as much, so they won't be discovered as quickly! Pull out a big book, casually set one of the offensive books down on the shelf as you "browse" the reference book, then shove the offensive book behind when you replace the reference book. Most bookstores have surveillance cameras, so you don't want to be too obvious, & just hiding them in the parenting section won't be as effective, 'cause if their 'puter records show they've got the book, they'll go to the parenting section to look for it.

If the bookstore staff is in the vicinity, & you're concerned about getting caught "rearranging" things, strike up a conversation, & show them a few particularly offensive paragraphs from the "bad" books, sharing your "professional expertise" &/or your parenting expertise. Then point out the "good" books (Sears, Huggins, Newman, LLL, etc.), and thank them for being so helpful with their customers in the future! I've even pulled out a business card & offered to come do a "lunch & learn" for their staff on how to help parents select books most helpful to them.

An added bonus: my kids let me go to book stores by myself now, since they don't want to be there if I'm arrested! :-)

Smiles,

Carol

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC, LCCE
www.humorhealthhugs.com

>>Whenever I am in a bookstore, I check out the parenting section.  If I see
>>Babywise, I sometimes make it "disappear".  Books are usually "faced"
>>(the
>>spines all brought forward so that they are at the edge of the shelf).  This
>>usually leaves plenty of room behind the books - a great hiding place.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2