From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:58:02 -0500
Quoting "Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>:

> I'd also like to ask the physicians on this list - what would YOU want your
> patients to ask so you could brag about your BF-management and BF support
> skills/services?

some of the things that nonBF friendly peds say- ie
1. Do you routinely recomend supplementation? (many do)
2. Do you recomend supplementation for jaundice? (new guidelines is no, but most
still do)
3. Until what age do you recomend breastfeeding? (many are confused about the
guidelines and will say 6 mo- when its really 6 mo EXCLUSIVE and at least a yr
or more- others think you should stop at 12-18 months)
4. What do you recomend for sore nipples? (wrong answer decrease sucking time)
5. Do you recomend putting infant on a schedule? (most peds will say yes)
6. What reference do you use for maternal medications in breastfeeding? (most
will probably answer PDR)

this list is not really what I would say to "brag"- then I would talk about my
extra training, conference attendance, LLL memberships, WHO code compliant
office etc...

rather, if someone is NOT going to me- say moving or has an insurance I don't
accept- these are good screening questions to be sure that the pediatrician
won't inadvertantly jeopardize/ subterfuge their breastfeeding- which certainly
does happen- I think these are really basic no no's for pediatricians
although it would be nice I don't think its realistic to expect pediatricians to
have the level of knowledge of an IBCLC! You wouldn't want it either- you'ld
lose your business!

Its true about personal experience- reference Shanler Pediatrics 2003
However- there are pediatricians who did breastfeed- but still give some very
bad advice and some who never breastfed but got some good training somewhere
along the way.

Personal experience and hearing colleague advice of highly respected
pediatricians in all other regards

"you don't want to be a slave to your baby"
"no night nursing- cavities"
"use ferber method early on"
"wean at 9, 12, 15 months because of poor wt gain"
just giving formula samples with out any breastfeeding advice
"pump and dump" b/c mom on IV antibiotic
"pump and give by bottle to well latching baby b/c slow wt gain despite adequate
out put and use of old balance scale'
"temporarily stop breastfeeding for jaundice"
"you can't over breastfeed before 6 months but your childs poor wt gain now is
from over breastfeeding after 6 mo"
"don't feed more often than every 2 hrs otherwise you'll get sore, if the baby
wants in between give a bottle of water"
"don't feed more than 10 min / side or you'll get sore nipples"

Amy M. Kotler, MD FAAP
Dover Pediatrics
LLLI Breastfeeding Resource Center
Doctors Park 369 W. Blackwell St