From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:32:58 -0600
> My only conclusion
> >is that most moms would rather "be like everyone else" that try something
> >different, since all the other moms have these huge expensive strollers,
> >too.
>
> Another conclusion: they have learned that slings represent those in
> "breastfeeding cults"  according to author Peggy Robins, or they are used
by
> Attahcment Parenting, who, according to Ezzo are trying to "undo birth
> trauma" and are raising selfish children who think they are the centre of
> the universe.

I don't think the people here are aware of any of these books or
philosophies.

I was actually quite upset when this latest mom rejected so quickly the
offer of trying the sling.  I felt rebuffed once again by my new community
and the moms here.  While crying and trying to process and accept this, my
husband suggested that, in order for these moms to *accept* the sling, they
had to *reject* the usefullness and "rightness" of the stroller.  IE if the
sling works better, then the stroller works worse, and they've wasted money,
been doing things the hard way, all the other moms (their friends and
relatives) were wrong, etc.   I live in a small rural agricultural
community, and am not related to anyone here, I'm 10 years or more years
older than most moms having babies here, one of the very few SAHM's etc.  So
my idea of "what works best" has no credibility with them.

I knew absolutely nothing about slings when I had my daughter, but a
*friend* lent me one, along with the Dr. Sears Baby Book, which explained
babywearing and attachment parenting.  So I already trusted my friend,
learnt about the importance and benefits of babywearing, and had very few
other influences on my parenting (my mother has passed, no other relatives
were near, and few of my friends had babies).  So I was a blank slate
waiting for influences - thank goodness no one gave me an Ezzo book!  (but
the attachment parenting in the Sears book seemed "right" to me - it spoke
to my soul -so I don't think Ezzo would have had a chance).

Janice Reynolds