HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:55:42 -0400
Bob,

Julia Costello held a ceramics workshop at the SCA Meeting in San Luis Obispo
back in 1979 (you would recall better than me) and James Deetz delivered a
presentation on mass-produced ceramics. Julia had referred to the Mission
pottery as "Colono Ware" and there was serious discussion. Deetz strongly advised
against calling our material by that name, which comes from an entirely
different culture, after all. I also caution against equating wheel-thrown plain brown
potery from coil-paddle-anvil, pinch pots, and molded pottery, all of which
are found in California. But whatever folks call the plain terracotta pottery
found on California Mission Sites, I hope this HISTARCH thread will result in
creating a new ceramics website that meets George Miller's high standards for
accuracy and will standardize the terminology we are all using. More
importantly, we need hard data to address the differences in dates found on the Atlantic
side versus later dates out here in California.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.