HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:09:25 -0400
Thanks George for the posting on the Florida Museum of Natural History Web
Site.  For those of use who have dreamed about using computers to create a
readily available database, this site is an ambitious attempt to provide a wealth
of information.  However, virtually every entry that I have looked at within my
realm of expertise is wrong.  For example, the 18th - century English agate
ware type shows a ca. 1880 American Rockingham door knob.  In those areas which
I have little knowledge (the Mexican stuff) how can I trust any of the
information?

Ceramic typology can be a life long career for some of us- I keep re-learning
that there is always something new to discover.  I would encourage those
interested in historic-period ceramics to peruse the electronic databases of the
major auction houses – Sotheby’s, Christies, Bonham’s, and eBay.

Websites such as Amy Earls’ are certainly the most competent efforts to
convey up to date information.  Regardless, maintaining websites takes considerable
effort to keep information current.  I have started several times to work on
a comprehensive shell-edge site...but everyday something new comes along:
http://ceramicsinamerica.com/shell-edged.htm

The Chipstone Foundation is also working toward digital databases for 17th
and 18th ceramics.  At the moment, several articles from Ceramics in America on
now available on line:

http://www.chipstone.org/framesetpublications.html

The fourth issue of Ceramics in America is now going to press.  I would
encourage anyone with the slightest interest in ceramics to avail themselves to
information contained in these articles:

“The Swan Cove Kiln: Chesapeake Tobacco Pipe Production, Circa 1650-1669.
Al Luckenbach

“Archaeology of a Colonial Pottery Factory: The Kilns And Ceramics Of The “
Poor Potter” Of Yorktown”
Norman F. Barka

“Yorktown’s “Poor Potter”: A Man Wise Beyond Discretion”
 Martha W. McCartney and Edward Ayres

“An ‘A’-Marked Covered Porcelain Bowl, Cherokee Clay and Colonial American’
s Contribution to the English Porcelain Industry”
W. Ross. H. Ramsay, Judith H. Hansen, and E.Gael Ramsay
“The Little Engine That Could:  Adaptation and Use of the Engine Turning
Lathe in the Pottery Industry”
Jonathan Rickard and Donald Carpentier

“The Potters and Pottery of Morgan’s Town, Virginia: The Earthenware Years,
Circa 1790 to 1854”
Don Horvath and Richard Duez
“Bernard Leach in America”
Emmanuel Cooper
“
Henry Remmey & Son, Late of New York: A Rediscovery of a Master Potter’s Lost
Years”
Luke Zipp
“
The Remarkable Stoneware Of George N. Fulton, Circa 1856-1894”
 Kurt C. Russ

 “A Hunting We Will Go! From Vauxhall to Lambeth 1700 – 1956”
Ivor Noël Hume

 New Discoveries--2004

“A New Look at Old Stoneware: The Pottery of Tildon Easton “
Barbara H. Magid

“Relatedness and Fluidity among Stoneware Potters of Washington County,
Virginia”
Christopher T. Espenshade

“Jar or Jug?: A Handled Stoneware Storage Vessel from the Delaware Valley”
William B. Liebeknecht

 William Pecker Jar
John  Kille

A Pernicious Influence?  Japanese Water Drop Ware
Mary C. Beaudry

An Investigation into “Ghosts” and Gilding on a Kangxi Porcelain Pot in the
J. Paul Getty Museum
Lisa Ellis

Sherds of Chinese Porcelain Found at Old Mobile
Linda Shulsky

Ceramic Surprises at the John Dortch site near St. Francisville, West
Feliciana Parish, Louisiana
Sarah Hahn

THIS I MAD FOR YOV AND MOOM
Robert Werowinski

If This Pot Could Sing
Al Luckenbach

 Excavations at the Minton Factory: Shedding New Light on 19th-century
Pottery Kilns Jonathan Goodwin

Rob Hunter
Editor, Ceramics in America
PO Box 114