From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:36:54 +1000
Judith your comments have stimulated some fascinating discussions on
various points you made. I'd like to take up a point though not yet made by
others.
You write:
[quote]Consider that in the forties and fifties, smoking was seen as pretty
harmless.
Consider that formula is generally considered safe.
Consider that the data on breastfeeding did not exist in the quantity
and quality it does now. =20
Consider that the research really does support C/S as being safer for
babies. =20

Now go back and think how long and hard it was to amass a comprehensive
body of data to actually cause the warnings against tobacco and then
support them in court. =20 [unquote]

My point, from my original email, is that these interventions should FIRST
be proven to be BETTER THAN what nature intended. How can these things can
be introduced so easily, cause their effects over a very long period of
time, and then cost our community and people so much to PROVE beyond doubt
that they are safe or detrimental. And by then, if detrimental, it has
become so entrenched that it becomes a 'human rights' violation to tell
people this isn't good for them!!  The introducer of the intervention
should have to pay for and do all that work BEFORE it is released to the
general population.
But even as it is today, when we do have the data (eg artificial formula)
we are gagged when trying to spread the word. Who is preventing Jan
Barger's labeling as "plant or animal milk" and Katie Bredbeck's warnings?
I couldn't see dishonesty in either of their suggestions, but can you
imagine the furore!!

Denise Fisher
Health e-Learning
http://www.health-e-learning.com