From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:50:32 -0500
I once saw a mom in the hospital who had nipple rings in place and actually
nursed the baby with them.  She said that she had had them put in "in my
less thoughtful days".  She had intended to have them removed before
delivery, but the baby came a couple weeks early.  The baby didn't seem to
mind (I guess because he never knew anything else).  She did have them
removed later that week and went on to nurse without difficulty.  It would
seem to me that if milk did squirt out the holes, if baby is fully latched,
these holes would still be inside baby's mouth and while they might "aim"
differently than intact nipple pores, should work just fine.  In theory,
there might be scar tissue blocking some ducts.  If this happens, those
segments drained by the blocked ducts might have to involute like the
breasts of a non-nursing mom.  On the other hand, we have heard how some
breasts, even after nipple removal and reattachment, have recanalized and
created new connections, so this could certainly occur in the event of scar
tissue from piercing.

Winnie