From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:33:55 +1000
No Valerie,
I agree with you. I think it is most unfortunate that Milo was so prominent
in this article. It was the first thing I thought of when I read it since I
know all too well that Nestle (and usually when I mention Nestle in a
private forum the name is followed with my opinion of their business ethics,
not printable on Lactnet). Unfortunately however, I am all too aware that in
this part of the world that there is not a good tasting equivalent for Milo
(and I've looked because I like Milo!) and so it surpises me not at all that
mums could be using it as mentioned. In fact I've added chocolate flavouring
to breastmilk in an attempt to make it more palatable to my son (when I was
expressing and he was ill) and had we not been in a Nestle free house it
would have been Milo (as it was the flavouring I used did not do the trick
and he promptly threw it up all over the wall...hmmm!)
I imagine that the cereal brand was not mentioned because there is no
ubitquitious name for that type of cereal but I can say that were the story
set in Australia it would have likely described breastmilk on Weetbix
(another brand name) which is also unknown in the US I believe.

I don't have any personal connection with the author but I suspect that you
don't either so you are right working out just how the choice of wording was
made cannot be stated with certainty but I gave my opinion of the likely
reason based on my experience of local traditions in Australia that may be
extrapolated (accurately?) to Singapore. I do think it just happened without
hidden agenda, just as Sanitarium may have gotten an inadvertant plug had
the article been written just a bit further south.

Karleen Gribble
Australia

> I differ in my perspective regarding this article.

 Yet I would like to suggest to you that