From:
Ruth Piatak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:18:52 -0500
Dear Terriann and Pam,

I'm not an IBCLC but have been Librarian for a couple of LLL Groups and love
to read.

Just want to draw attention to an inaccuracy I found in "So That's What
They're For":  it gives Hepatitis B as a contraindication for breastfeeding.
I find the book delightful otherwise, but fear a few moms may take it
seriously, if they're like the one who called me. This was soon after I had
become a Leader, and was very educational for me about divining a mother's
agenda.  She hadn't read "So That's What They're For", and I don't know what
her source of information was, but she wanted me to connect her with
breastfeeding mothers from whom she could buy breastmilk to feed the child
she was about to give birth to, as if she could trust several strangers'
medical history better than her own :^(.  She mentioned more than once that
she had contracted the Hep B from a blood transfusion, and it was very clear
that she felt *contaminated*.  My reading verbatim from BAB and Dr. Newman's
book that there is no evidence that breastfeeding raises risk of
transmission, and that HBIG and vaccine are called for anyway, did not seem
to sway her.

Ruth Piatak
Plano, TX